New versions of KorAP’s backend and frontend application have been published for IDS usage.
Service version: 1.50
Frontend version: 1.082
Among layout changes for definition of virtual collections, changes also include minor CSS updates, service bug fixes, as well as a new API release of version 0.1.
KorAP’s example queries, accessible via the User query menu at several points in the user interface, now include better descriptions and updates for Poliqarp, CQL and COSMAS2 queries.
– scrolling bar flickering during loading
– simpler framed panel view for definition of virtual collection
– preserve status of page during refresh of browser
- bug fix where cache entry overrides existing virtual collections
- removed example queries from user queries in preparation of query tutorial
– unsearchable virtual collections in demomode
– storing virtual collections as a registered user
- performance improvments for database access
- API update to v0.1
A new version is available that contains minor changes and bug fixes:
- bug fix for user query saving/retrieval/update
- bug fix for KWIC-view zoom
- virtual collection definition view zoom behaviour adjustment
- more lightweight use of components to enhance performance and minimize memory consumption
- HTML injection check for user-sensitive input fields
- encoding fix for German localization messages.
Among general performance updates, the current release includes a new feature provided by Piotr Pęzik’s Neo4j backend.
User interface updates:
- Collocation Analysis module accessible via “Search Tools” –> “Collocation Analysis”. Cf. also KorAP’s FAQ and our YouTube channel for a tutorial on how to retrieve collocation information (cf. http://youtu.be/hiKHw50Hq9k).
- CSS/visual updates to adjust for different screens resolutions
- KorAP Preference property to disable collection of private usage information
REST service updates:
- GET function for collocation (Neo4j Backend)
- HTTP parameter updates
- self-contained (state-less) authentication alternative
- Serialization API bug fixes
- Performance improvements
KorAP is addressed in two publications from this year’s LREC:
KorAP has been integrated to the CLARIN technology and infrastructure, especially the CLARIN-FCS (Federated Content Search). CLARIN-FCS is an interface specification implementing the Search Retrieve via URL / Contextual Query Language (SRU/CQL), where SRU is a client-server standard XML-based protocol formulating CQL queries in URL to perform a search. CLARIN-FCS allows searching within resource content stored in CLARIN repositories.
KorAP-SRU, an implementation of the CLARIN-FCS, namely an endpoint, has been released. It allows searching in IDS Mannheim repository via KorAP. KorAP-SRU currently has the basic search capability as defined by CLARIN-FCS supporting term-only (e.g Hund) and boolean (AND and OR) queries. Moreover, it interprets the queries as case-sensitive.
Typically an FCS endpoint needs to translate a query in an SRU search retrieve request into the query language of the search engine. Since KorAP can accept various query languages including CQL, the KorAP-SRU endpoint does not need to alter the CQL query. It simply includes the query in an HTTP request and sent it to KorAP public search service. The KorAP service sends back query results serialized in JSON format and KorAP-SRU translates this into CLARIN-FCS result format.
The KorAP-SRU endpoint has been registered in the CLARIN center registry, specifically in the IDS center information. It is connected to the Aggregator a CLARIN-FCS client sending search requests to multiple CLARIN repositories, collecting and displaying the results. In the near future, it will be integrated to Weblicht and can be used as a tool in building a linguistic processing tool chain or pipeline.
A new version of KorAP is available for testing.
- bug fix for password reset functions
- enable collection views to display meta information about virtual collection
- bug fix to display of meta query for newly created virtual collections
- serialization of access control policy for virtual collections
- performance enhancement for login operation
- KWIC view meta data is only displayed if available
- document id meta data entry for matches
- display statistical information about the virtual collection in information panel
- enabled CQL query language in query language menu.
Backend service update to version 1.3; several bug fixes and updates mostly under the hood. These updates include:
- integration of the query rewrite system for user settings (more on this issue can be found in our LREC-2014 contribution),
- public service integration for CQL (CLARIN Infrastructure) query end point.
One substantial update concerns the import of COSMAS2 user account data. Users can now login via their COSMAS2 account credentials.
During the course of development several issues have been resolved in the current implementation of the frontend. Here is the changeLog for the new version available under “http://korap.ids-mannheim.de/app“.
- save user query resulted in connection error
- query language was not persisted to query object upon saving
- constant request polling
- headline with query and total number of results in match view was hidden
- show total number of page results in match view
- bootstrap communication with backend service was executed per request
- annotation links in match did not line break upon page resize
- display of morphological information in a table per foundry and match
- quick search is disabled by default now (but can be enabled in KorAPPreferences)
- save current query is directly persisted to database
- predefined collections are no longer statically loaded, but integrated with the policy service. Thus, if a user does not match the available policies for the collection, the collection is not returned. Result: only accessible collections are displayed in the frontend.
In lieu of help files, which are still on the to-do list (they will be created after the final features of the system are in place), we have started a Frequently-Asked-Questions document.
The test version of KorAP is now open for IDS-internal access only, through the “demo” profile, linked right below the “Login” button, at http://korap.ids-mannheim.de/app
Please note that, for the time being, we can only serve a limited portion of DeReKo data, available to non-authenticated users. The preferred browser to use is Firefox. The frontend has also been tested with Safari. Old versions of Internet Explorer will surely not work well with it.
As you can image, at the moment we are aware of the most critical bugs, but we welcome all feedback, big and small. Bug report forms are available from inside the test version, by clicking the “Kontakt” link.
the KorAP Team